Mobbed.

Demophobia, Enochlophobia and Ochlophobia mean the same thing - the fear of crowds and as much as I have personally detested these large masses existing for no reason its only recently that they terrify me.

Crowds primarily are noisy and nosy and smell bad. Crowds attack you worse than a mob of bees and make you behave like them simply because they are large and if you do not act like them, well then you are attacked worse than physical torture. Eyes follow your every moment like stings of the bee and the viscous biting of many scorpions together. Crowds are terrible hoards of humans without any private life. Why would crowds exist?

Well, you may sensibly point out that I would have belonged to crowds more often than my hag-like memory would recollect, but I have generally been the one who is out of the crowd. The one who keeps being joked about and honestly when it comes to crowds, I'd rather stay with three or four people than many an entire group of people who would not even listen to me.

Crowds are scary. Now, you might go on to say why would I ramble so much about an omnipresent phenomena like crowds?

Well, here goes the story...
I was in a train going to only-god-can-remember-where but it was in Mumbai. After swearing a million times that I would not travel in Mumbai's local trains I still did. The first thing that happened was that the train I managed to get on to was (obviously) full. So I cramped myself inside and managed to sit (Whoa I know I did). Then as my stop approached well I got up and was waiting in the queue to get down which went all the way to my seat. There were people in the train and millions of them sitting or standing without moving a muscle. I was the last in the queue cause the person in front of me did not let me get down. So I waited and when the stop came everyone got down.

My bag was pulled by someone, my slipper fell off right (it stayed on the train) when I put my foot onto the station, and so many mishaps happened that a normal person would have died. Then just as I got hold of everything (my belongings, footings) I get mobbed. It was like a scene straight from the movie Heroine or from Britney Spears' or Lindsay Lohan's life. There were people all around me...pushing me shoving me...everywhere and the stench of the disgusting human sweat filling every air space around me. I could have died. I was pushed back into the train and I could not get down. ever since crowds have been these terrible harassment to me. Why would crowds exist? Can people not be to themselves and just because everyone else acts like hooligans and manner-less mawalis does not mean that every individual should.

This might seem like just another "Mumbai-train-mishap" story, but it is more than just that. It is the questioning why such a sad state exists and the answer to that is simply Crowds and "the Indian crowd" at that. People should learn to behave and simply because everyone else does not have any civil sense does not make it "Okay" for others to be bad. Even if it is a race against everyone crowds have to be ignored and you have to do your own thing. Crowds are the key problem to everything.

Comments

Other writings