An Open Letter to Lady Gaga

UPDATE: Haus Laboratories has confirmed that their products are cruelty-free and vegan. I do believe this is, in that case, one of the best products to buy at the moment. Try them out.

Dear Lady Gaga,



I have supported you, I have rooted for you and argued about just how amazing you are for this world. I have made every effort to be a die-hard fan, I have even credited you as the reason that I have come to become an adult capable of self-love. Your contribution to my life is beyond compare, and for that, I will always, always, always continue to hold you in the highest regard and love you.

This letter is dated one day after the launch of your new makeup line, 'Haus Laboratories'. While I adore the message and idea of how makeup has become a personal art form, rather than just a standard, I have to ask you this extremely, extremely important question.

The reason I ask you this is because I expect you to listen. Not because I am a fan, not because I love and support you, but because I believe that you have a humanitarian kindness within yourself to answer and tell me this.

Are the products that you are going to launch, 1) animal-tested, 2) environmentally friendly?

Because I have come to form my principals of beauty and self-love as primarily unharmful (something I attribute to you). So while your celebratory message of inclusivity and self-love is important, to be able to continue to support you I need to know that you as the spear-header of this brand are doing everything to give me a product that does not harm those who do not have a human voice.

There are few people who have affected my life and made me normalise and accept every little digression of myself the way that you have. However, with this campaign, I may not be able to support you or contribute to the revenue that I really wish to, if the products are tested on animals and if you do nothing to change it. Whether the line becomes available in my country is secondary and simply a logistical problem that as a fan I can be compassionate about, but I cannot consciously and willingly partake in a beauty and self-love exercise that is not compassionate.

I may tell every hater and every untoward opinion (about me or those like me) that it doesn't matter what you think and that if I can love myself, I do not need you to love me. But, when my love is sending out harm and destroying the lives of innocents, I must reevaluate and stop.

I understand that this may seem like holding you onto another standard, and expecting far more from you than what is the norm, but isn't that what Haus Laboratories in many ways is about? To not listen to the norm and do the right thing for ourselves?  I wish to celebrate myself, and I wish to celebrate you, but I need to do it on my own terms. Congratulations on this new venture and I wish you all the very best for it.

I promise you, that if somehow you are the wonder woman I know that you are, and if you release Haus Laboratories - products that are not animal tested and are environmentally friendly, I will do whatever it takes to find the products and buy them and use them much more than I use the brands I now support. I request you to do something and take another stand.

I will forever support you and I hope you will continue to support me and those like me.

- A boy who has learnt to love himself, inside and outside, and cherishes applying makeup.

Comments

Other writings