Delhi's Love

The cold winds warmed up to me. Delhi and I had a romance I've never had with any city before. Part of it was because of the excitement and the crazy events and part of it was the city making love to me.

After a possible missing of my travel to the city I got out of the airport to be greeted by the cities entire force of cold and taxis. The cold was special - light and intense - it was the first time Delhi kissed me, it was special.

But the romance began much before, perhaps we were destined to meet, how else would you explain me boarding a flight I was late for? Maybe the universe wanted us to meet and it sure sent my body on an adrenaline spiral the minute I entered the sad Mumbai airport.

Delhi showered me with gifts throughout. As soon as I landed there was a comment on my hairstyle being awesome. And isn't that the best way to sweep someone off their feet - compliment them on the thing they attend to most and work hard to maintain? It was special.

The Delhi streets took me to my stay and the first day pretty much ended with new and old friends; it felt like Delhi - New and Old and everything.

The best gift Delhi gave me was my MunchKin! Four years late and I still find my best friend and I trapped in time of the most amazing hangouts and shopping. Our rendez-vous  was flared up with Delhi's smooth metro and posters of one glamour goddess - Marilyn Monroe. We ate and we drank and we saw and we fought with shopkeepers and all this time Delhi never let go of my hand. It stood by me in my happiness and my indulgent basking.

As my friend took me to Delhi's underbelly, the Palika Bazaar, Delhi held my hand, kept me closer. It was scary to see its dark side, but there was still a sense of being watched over and seeing fancy things for cheap. Like diamonds in its coal mines, but Delhi wasn't afraid to show, it let me explore every part of it - even the scary side.

A long lunch sans alcohol and another gorgeous metro ride later, wearing my pretty exploits - I was at a Delhi wedding. The grand affair of the city was fun, I even crashed another wedding and drank a mojito - just because it was in Delhi.

Two long sleepy nights in the soothing cold winds I spent with Delhi - during one of which I even happened to be drunk. And even though the cold licked away at me there was happiness and bliss in Delhi; and thus in me.


Delhi got its best for me and yet I saw it as a whole and I fell in love. XOXO

Comments

Other writings