It not OK. (Or Gay for that matter)

So I have noticed off late there are lots and lots of people who say "It's so Gay" and I say that I've noticed it now because in India, its happening now. 10 year old kids go like. "That's so Gay". without anyone even meaning that it is "homosexual" or "happy".

Either the world has actually forgotten how to use English or its a very stereotypical "homophobic" attitude being reflected, which is why people find it harder to come to terms with something as indifferent as homosexuality.

If it is the first situation I find it absolutely comic, I mean I'd then expect people to start saying things randomly like, if they mean the bird is blue, they'd probably say "The Building has crumbled" or if they mean I love my amazing Bed and apply it to only adjectives they'd start saying "I love my horrible bed" and the world would pretty much go crazy (if it already hasn't.)

Then I have heard apparent "Literature Students" and Teacher's-Favourites (an English teacher for that matter) and "Grammar Nazi's" say stuff like that. I mean if you're reading Shakespeare, its obvious you come across words like "gay" but if you really don't know the meaning of it, don't just use it randomly to sound all thesaurus-y. (It's my blog I'm allowed to create words.)

But obviously its the last situation, cause as much as we like to think that the world is a crazy place with no one having any idea or control of what happens, people replace "bad" or anything foul with "gay" or "fag" or any such other word just to hurt someone and this filters down, down to people who eventually cannot differentiate between gay and bad or foul and consider the word meaning happy as an abuse.

It's almost like saying, That dress is so happy. Gay is not a bad adjective and people need to realise that and if you intend to use "Gay" to mean bad, then you're offending and demeaning people who identify themselves as "Gay", which is hardly any different than what you are.

Conside this, "At least have the courage of meaning exactly what you say, otherwise its like you haven't said anything." By Me. XOXO

And now a Video (from youtube, not an original) with the same message in a short advertisement with the one and only, my favourite Hilary Duff. XXO

The only way people are going to be okay with homosexuality is if they don't think of it as bad and that starts with words. Literally.

Comments

Other writings