A day before becoming legal

Its mixed - the feelings (or should I say are)...its confusing, almost like a blur. Hushed silences and explained surprise plans of some moments so uncertain I really consider suicide.

I don't know whether to be happy or sad. and this has what it has been like forever. Turning a certain number (in my case 14, even if you might add years to that) presents happiness, but does it not also take away that child-life you had? and suddenly you can be accused of more than you even wanted to do. Its all the fault of responsibility - because that's what creates "Adults" right?

Then again you might say, its not bad being an adult...you get freedom (but with freedom comes responsibility) and its not that I am scared of responsibility, it is just that I don't know what they are. Has anyone ever told you what it is to be an adult? You must have seen obviously, but adulthood is downright out of any child's comfort zone.

It is almost like Marie Antoinette being expected to make babies with an impotent husband at age 14. It takes away - childhood and it leaves an empty responsible hole of perhaps new possibilities - adulthood. Its scary. Possibilities of every kind.

I can be accused of murder and tried for it, whereas I have another day to commit a crime and still be let off as a juvenile and then you must consider privilege or freedom? Just like that eternal question that rages amongst the gender. Women should have privilege (reservations in public transport, parliament, etc.) or freedom?

And no, you cannot have both. Not as an adult atleast. Those privileges are simply examples of a patriarchal society putting on a veil that it has equal rights for woman, whereas it cannot grapple with itself of accepting the fact that women are no different from men, but as a human - you cannot have freedom with privilege. That could almost make you God (who I like to believe is limited in itself to only GOOD. Does God do bad?)

And even as these millions of buzzes go through I don't know what I want to do or what I expect. Maybe I just want to be happy and I really don't know how that is done.

http://apurpletale.blogspot.in/2012/12/eighteenth.html

Comments

Other writings